The Central Pine Barrens region represents one of best remaining examples of a pine barrens ecosystem in the world. Our experts are available to come to your school to teach your students from kindergarten through 12th grade about this unique ecosystem through a hands-on, interactive presentation that correlates well with school curriculum requirements. During these programs, students will explore the unique diversity of life within the pine barrens and the human connection to this region.
- Grades K-5 presentations are hands–on, multi-sensory.
- Grades 6-12 presentations are PowerPoint with a hands-on component.
All programs can be adjusted to accommodate any age group or grade level. The programs are 50 minutes in length. Preferred maximum group size is one classroom.
- Pine Barrens Ecology
- Long Island Biodiversity
- A Day in the Life of a River
- Climate Change on LI and Solutions
Program objectives include:
- Gaining an understanding of the Central Pine Barrens ecosystem, including learning the ecological and geological features characteristic of the region.
- Introduction to the natural processes that shape the pine barrens ecosystem.
- Studying plant and animal species that live in the pine barrens, including how they are adapted to their environment and how they interact with this unique ecosystem
- Understanding the threats facing the pine barrens and learning how we can help to preserve and restore this ecosystem.
The programs include hands-on participation and interactive discussion. At the conclusion of the presentation, students should be able to name plants and animals unique to the region, identify the adaptations of pine barrens plant and animal species, understand the region’s stature as a fire-dependent ecosystem and display an understanding of the role of the pine barrens in protecting Long Island’s sole source aquifer.
The Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission welcomes your questions about our in-school education program. To ask any question about the program or to make a reservation to hold a presentation at your school, please contact our Education and Outreach Coordinator, Melissa Griffiths Parrott, at email@example.com or by calling 631-218-1177.